Saturday, October 26, 2013

Eat It (As Long As It's Not Toxic)

    When my autistic boy was a but a pup he didn't care about eating. He was a skinny little kid, like an al dente noodle, thin and floppy. But then at four years old he started eating kooky things. I remember him sitting in a pile of sand and putting a pinch of it into his mouth. The sand crunched in his teeth as he chewed. He didn't spit it out but tasted it as if it were an appetizer, cautious at first and then surprised at it's goodness. I realize that sand isn't part of a food group but it seems to be ok in moderation, just a little here and there. Every once in a while the boy feels the need to eat a bite of dirt as well. Last year while in the yard he picked up a plum sized dirt clod and took a good honest bite out of it, twice. Then he went about his day. In the early days school teachers learned not to give him crayons, chalk, candles or pencil erasers because he made a meal out of them. These items weren't just chewed on, he actually ate them like a rabbit eating a carrot. And no tummy trouble either, just colorful in his diaper.
    Any kind of water will find it's way into Tanner's mouth as well; lake water, irrigation water, storm water, bath water, old water, pool water. He likes water. At first I was worried about the cleanliness of what he was drinking. But he NEVER got sick, and still never does. Of course I know it is gross to drink strange water, I am careful when I drink stuff, heck, I won't even drink out of the same cup as another person. Still I gave up trying to protect him from himself, he wouldn't have any fun if I kept him in sanitary conditions. If his gut isn't complaining then I suppose it's all good.
    All I know is that all the candles in the house have bite marks and chunks are missing along their edges, as well as the Nerf footballs, and anything with a rubber handle. Be assured that he also receives healthy snacks as well and usually a fine dinner of meat and potatoes. For desert, if he's been a good boy, he might get a tangerine crayon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment