Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Long Process

I wouldn't be writing unless I was comfortable in my own skin. It has only taken 46 years to be able to be confident and unapologetic about the way I live my life and the way I take care of my crazy child.And then to have the audacity to engrave my thoughts forever into written form. This process has been a long one. I'm not saying that I have reached enlightenment or anything but I don't expect things anymore. I don't control situations anymore. I don't control my son anymore.And the reason? Autism cannot be controlled. I just recently accepted this jewel of knowledge. My autistic kid is nutty and funny and I love him but he doesn't fit into a normal life. My life has to fit around him. Resentment and disappointment have long been abandoned yet I held onto control as if a happy life depended on it. Well, the more control I tried to exert over my boy's day to day life, the more crazy I became. Now I have decided to look back on the dumb and futile things I have done to make life normal. Learning from experience and giving up on control have lead me to contentment. I don't know what I would do without autism. I would be an empty vessel. Thank you Tanner for being such a bitter pill and yet the love of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment