Friday, November 22, 2013

Autism And Empathy

    Studies show that those with Autism have trouble picking up on other people's emotions. It is said that Autistic individuals lack the tenderheartedness to notice people's wants and needs.With my son I find this to be true most times but not always. I have glimpsed moments of intense warmth in his soul. I have watched as he wept with unpretentious melancholy while listening to Dvorak's New World Symphony, where the music itself touched his heart and his eyes leaked warm tears. I have been with him as he sobbed with happiness when Snow White and her Prince rode off into the sunset on the white steed. I have comforted him post-tantrum, when the fury is gone and the sorrow sets in because he knows he has caused me pain. In these moments of emotion I ask him where he hurts, and he pats his chest where his heart is. I believe Tanner has the most purest of feelings.
    There are moments when I am sad as well. I remember being listless and distant one day. I sat at the computer, staring, murmuring for him to just leave me alone. But Tanner didn't leave me alone. He sat on the floor next to me and just watched. He occasionally touched me gently, a soft hug, the easy press of his mouth on my cheek. The boy examined my eyes and my face and he stayed until I smiled at him.
    I have found that Tanner can guage other people's emotional status just by looking at them. However his reactions are often misplaced. If dad is irritable and tense then Tanner counteracts by being naughty and needy. If sister is pushy and intolerant then Tanner becomes aggitated and violent. If mom is impatient and harried then Tanner becomes destructive and loud. Negative in US equals Negative in HIM.
    Perhaps those with Autism have a sense of empathy way beyond our understanding. All I know is that the boy knows my moods in the same way that he knows my eyes. If I side look at him with rage eyes he backs away. If I raise my voice but my eyes are smiling he laughs and if I have desperate wide eyes he takes advantage of me. When I have kind eyes he wants affection. When I wink he tries to wink as well.
I think he likes my happy eyes the best because when I'm happy, he's happy.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment