Tuesday, December 3, 2013

What Do You Do For Yourself?

     Sometimes it seems as if there is never a spare moment in day to day life. I mean there are messes to clean up, meals to make, laundry to fold and all the other stuff that comes with being a responsible and conscientious mother. Having an Autistic child just quadruples the effort to maintain a stable environment for the family as a whole. And as much as I like to stay busy there are other aspects of my life that I really need to keep track of. For instance, it is important for me to know how I am feeling about my situation. It is important that I don't become an autometron, just going through the motions of a difficult  existence.
    There was a decade of my life when I did everything right. I pretended that I could make my family normal by becoming extra involved in school volunteerism and by cooking time consuming meals and by not wearing tank tops in public. I even attended a local church in hopes of becoming part of my community. Still, I believe, at this time, I was never so unhappy. By becoming involved in "normal" activities I had the hopes of fitting into the perfect mold of contentment like everyone around me. But really nothing changed except for added dissapointment on top of living with a severe Autistic son. Much later I discovered why I was an outsider and it wasn't because of Tanner.
    I wasn't being true to myself. I was taking my life to seriously. I wasn't enjoying the disaster which was my life. First of all, I had a big talk with myself and stopped all that "appearances" crap. Next, I started watching my crazy boy in a whole new way. I found that his "abby-normal" brain makes him a very interesting and funny person. I let go of my control, I stopped telling him no, I stopped covering his mouth when he got to loud. I just let it roll. When he threw his food, broke something, put his head through a wall, I stopped reacting. Afterall, these are just material things which can be fixed at leisure.
   And Most Importantly....the boy WILL fall asleep by 8:00 pm which leaves me MY TIME to do what I please. This part of the evening is crucial to my well being. I plan my alone time like I plan a vacation ie. it does not go wrong. First I make sure the children are put away and can't bother me, then I lock my bedroom door.
    What happens next is purely magical. I put on soft yoga music, light about twenty candles, draw a hot bath with lavender scented bubbles and soak until I am ready. Then I talk to myself. I ask about my day and how I am feeling and I congratulate myself for making it through. Then I think about all the good things in life which make me smile. Then I think about a single thing which I want to do better next time. Finally I try to blank out all thought and I ask with my thoughts "What is your will?", "Please help me!". I try to communicate with the presence I feel, the presence I talk to when I use my inner voice. Next I feel peaceful..... This is my indulgence, the thing I do for myself. This is what saves me from myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment