Monday, December 9, 2013

A Few Of My Favorite Things

     I will be shallow here and make it known what is really important to me. #1  becoming warm when I am cold, ie. (hot bath, warm blanket, fireplace, soup)...#2 becoming cool when I am hot, ie. (cold drink, air conditining, cool sheets, snow cone)...#3 scratching an itch ie. (preferably a human scratcher)....#4 a good book, ie.(wow! that is sooo true and penned sooo beautifully)....#5 a clean car, ie (this car looks so good on me!). If I am comfortable then I am more apt to be grateful. So when these initial needs are met then I can go on and notice the other great stuff in my life.
    The single thing which has saved me from self pity and martyrdom is the gift of having a paying job. I have a skill other than being the awesome mom of an Autistic son. My occupation has empowered me enough that I have never become resentful towards the constant demands and sacrifices I make caring for my cub. Working away from home and being at the top of my game has instilled confidence and importance in who I am. And as a bonus, dad is a very involved and integral part of the family. Together, we have it covered.
    The other thing which has saved me from heartache and despair is that I have a son who is truly clueless. Yes, I am grateful that my boy is on the severe end of the Autistic Spectrum. He will be a perpetual, carefree two year old for the rest of his life, his needs will be met and he will never have the awareness that he is different. When I look into his eyes there will be an innocent child unconcerned about his lost potential. This boy will never know cruelty or disappointment or shame. For this I am grateful.
    Another thing which has saved me from feeling hopeless and overwhelmed is my teenage daughter. She was born into quite a pickle. From her earliest days she has endured the craziness of her brother. But the thing is, she never let him win. She never lost herself. I guess my daughter could have become a compulsive caretaker, hingeing on Tanner's every need, or she could have become bitter, hating her brother and her life as his sibling. Instead, she is a typical sister, sometimes a bully, other times a helper. But she is always a protector and I rely on her greatly.
    There are so many other things which make my life so full. Alot of these things hurt. The things which hurt the most are those which end up being the most beneficial for the growth of my soul. When I feel like I am doing difficult things I feel more fullfilled. Still, I would be lying if I gave the impression that my life is just one Zen moment after another. I experience the whole gamut of emotions in a single day. Some days I don't even want to wake up, some days I am so full of resentment that I just want to disappear. Most days I am content. The best days are when I am filled with a love so intense that I can't help but squeeze the kids until they can't stand it anymore. I am grateful for the best days the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment