Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Risky Behavior

     Some teenagers are big risk takers. They tend to engage in dangerous activities  like longboarding, fast driving and ladder climbing. These kids aren't afraid of accidents. I have an Autistic son who likes to live on the edge as well. Even though he is constantly supervised he seems to get into a lot of trouble. The other day I started a small fire in the fireplace for warmth and comfort as the snow piled up outside. The boy is a fire lover as well. Momentarily, I walked away to fold some laundry and when I returned he had piled every piece of firewood we had into the fireplace. My little pyromaniac watched as the fire grew and when there was nothing else to feed it he threw in a kitchen towel. As I watched to see what the fire bug would do next he looked eagerly at the throw pillows. There is no limit to what the boy will throw into a fire, even his sipper cup.
     Water also draws the boy under it's spell. Swimming pools are Tanner's nirvana. Although he can't swim he tends to inch his way deeper and deeper...the water creeps over his shoulders, then around his chin, then washes over his mouth and this is when his eyes go wide because he realizes he can't breath anymore.I watch him carefully to see if he can solve his own problems. Over the years he becomes more cautious.
     Another danger, or embarrassment, is when the cub decides he wants to take off his clothes. The other day after getting off the school bus the little streaker stripped off his coat, then his shirt and had his pants way below the butt crack before he got to the front door. It was 17 degrees outside. I got a good natured honk from the bus driver and quickly ushered my exhibitionist sixteen year old into the house. In the driveway was a scattering of clothing tossed aside as if I ran a nudest colony. The next morning there were still footprints of barefeet in the snow.
    Tanner also runs with scissors, walks on broken glass, opens the washer when it's on spin cycle, turns up music really loud and runs away from home. I threaten him time and time again that I will haul him off to Juvie but he just laughs at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment