Saturday, May 24, 2014

Hey That's Not Your Shirt

It seems that my autistic son never comes home with the clothes I sent him with. I will scoot him off to school with a nicely matched shorts and shirt outfit (with socks that compliment the color scheme), but when he returns home he is wearing somebody else's blue plaid shorts and a red striped shirt and only one strange sock. Over the last year I have "lost" five pair of custom hemmed pants and three homemade "onesies", not to mention seven socks (each of a different color). I have gained a pair of blue plaid shorts which I return but keep getting back even though they have the name "Robert" on the waistband.

At school there are eight boys. All are non verbal and all don't care what they wear. So when there is a spill or a messy eater or any other reason to change clothes, the boys will put on whatever shirt or pants are available. And since the staff have to deal with eight crazy guys they probably grab the nearest pants possible and stick them on the guy who needs pants the most. Unfortunately, the clothes I love the most and have spent an hour cutting and hemming, never return. And I have so many mismatched socks I don't know how to cope with the pairing issue.

With the new season I have purchased several trendy shorts and shirts for the boy. I have also written his name in Sharpie all over these clothes. There is a chance I may see them again, but maybe not. This is why I shop the clearance rack. Now if I can just decide how to pair up those socks... is it ok to pair a red sock with an orange sock or is that totally uncool?

1 comment: